2008-05-24

Around and around..

The photo to the right is the view from the top floor of our building. The velodrome (Wikipedia) just sits there, taunting me, right across the street. This Wednesday there was a local track meet, with 500m, 1000m and Keirin races. As I wasn't doing much else, I walked over and took a few snaps instead. I'd been planning to have a go at it myself with my roadie ever since I moved here together with my girlfriend over three weeks ago. Finally, this morning I got my act together and headed out there.

The Turku velodrome (Wiki, Finnish) is a 333,33 meter outdoor circuit where the Finnish track championships have been held quite a few times. The last time I'd ridden on it was in 2006, if I'm not mistaken. Today I had the track to myself, but since I still haven't ridden much at all this year, I decided to take it really easy. In total I did about 60 laps, 20 km, including a couple with one foot unclipped. I really liked how the freedom from having to worry about traffic and other road hazards allowed me to concentrate of my riding style and position on the bike. Before heading home I went for a short spin to Lauste, a quaint suburb to the southeast.

After I got back home again and had had some bacon and eggs, Maija and I headed to Ajopyörä so that she could buy a pair of single-sided SPD pedals and matching shoes. She's been commuting to work, through sleet and snow even, but now I might just be able to lure her with me on even longer rides in the countryside.

...

Morning ride: 32.17 km, 1h14min24sec, 25.94 kmh avg, 44.6 kmh max.

No comments: